They say a day is a long time in politics – in Godalming things are moving by the hour.
Perhaps this really progressive new council will be a model for others? Is this the man to follow?
Since the new brooms led by Paul Follow swept into the town’s council chamber in May it has:
- Declared a climate emergency.
- -Allocated initial money to schemes to support that work this year;
- – Added a new grant fund for carbon-reducing projects to replace that from 2020;
- – Used some of this year’s initial money to give the green-light for three public water points at key areas of the town in Godalming, Farncombe and at the Phillips Memorial Park;
- – A couple of other projects too (one involving some land at Ockford Ridge becoming a wildflower meadow for the community and another regarding the transition to LED bulbs);
Upon being told that councillors robes would cost in excess of £10,000 to replace. The Town Council has elected not to!
Said Council chair Paul Follows:
“My own personal view here is that I want to be judged, and want the council to be judged on what we do and not what we wear and want to reduce any barriers between councillors and residents.
Tradition is important and this is part of our history but it should not override all other considerations.”
– We also agreed on a Town council level structure of regular surgeries where at least one councillor from each ward will be available at each session to meet residents. More details on that soon.
So in my view a very good result – and I am extremely proud to be leading a reforming, modernising and cross-party town council. Many thanks to all the hard work of the town staff on all of the above too – without them, none of these measures would get off the drawing board.
Thank you also to all the residents who attended the recent meeting.🙂 Happy to discuss anything on the above either here or at Paul.email@example.com