“Surrey has made a right pig’s ear of the town” asking when the “experiment would finish?”
Town council leader John Neale explained it was a 12-week exercise, which would take the present scheme to mid-September. However, he believed it would go on for longer. He said the county council was exploring alternatives to barriers, including the potential for temporary kerbstones.
The Waverley Web cannot help wondering whether the town’s councillors knew what they were signing up to when they agreed to Surrey’s plan in the first place? If they didn’t, it begs the question, why on earth did they approve the plans? Surely they too have to accept some of the responsibility for the mess the town centre is in? The WW heard from one couple who travelled from Guildford for a day’s shopping in Farnham, only to find the place in such a mess they turned around and went back home. So why waste another £10,000 of our money?
Town clerk Iain Lynch said funding was in place until March 31, 2021, and hoped the additional £10,000 would be covered by Surrey’s on-street parking revenue.
So it doesn’t really matter – because it is Surrey’s money – OUR MONEY – but from a different pot! But they cannot find the money for this…Has someone been leaning on a signpost in Farnham?
He reassured members: “If additional planters go in, the barriers would definitely be removed.” Although he recognised there had been “a number of issues” with the scheme, there was no certainty when Covid-19 would disappear.
SCC says it has packed the barriers tightly together to ensure that children can not run between them into the road. It urges patience from the public to allow the scheme to bed down!
The recommendation was agreed, with just one vote against. So more money down the proverbial pan?