Rumour has it that the Cranleigh charity thwarted by the Borough’s planners in BC – that’s life Before Covid – may be gearing up to have another crack at the whip.
On the basis that if at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try and try again, CVHT (Cranleigh Village Health Trust) formerly known as CVHT (Cranleigh Village Hospital Trust) – confused? You will be! They had to drop the ‘H’ word, as in ‘hospital’ because it was just too hot to handle. And ‘hospital’ suggests that local people might want to use the facility they fund-raised for, whereas substitute the word ‘health’ and the world’s your oyster … at least it is if you’re a fee-paying wannabe nursing home resident, as opposed to a fund-raising local resident who wants to stay in the hospital you donated your hard earned dosh to!
So, will it be Plan 5? Or is it Plan 6? … Or Plan 66? Lets recap, shall we?
• First it was a replacement for the old Cottage Hospital, closed down by local health chiefs
• Then it was a replacement Cottage Hospital AND a new GP surgery – with ambulatory services – and a Day Hospital, with minor injuries
• Then it morphed into a nursing home, with 20 community beds for ‘local people’
• Then it mushroomed into an even larger Care Home – with 20 community beds for anyone from anywhere – and they wanted to bolt on a block of apartments for local health-workers
Then … wait for it … wait for it… drum roll:
• They wanted a Care Home, 20 community beds AND an apartment block with 28 bedsits for health-workers from anywhere in the Primary Care Trust, or is that now Surrey Heartlands area!
Before you know it, they’ll have sold the site to McCarthy & Stone and they’ll be building luxury apartments for the over 55s from anywhere as long as they can afford them!
And, in case you’ve forgotten in all the drama of the Covid Crisis, this land they want to build on was once owned by Cranleigh parishioners. CVHT snaffled it in what was sold to Cranleigh residents as a ‘land exchange’ but turned out to be nothing short of a ‘land grab’. The land is now valued at £2.5 million by CVHT so, personally, we’d call that daylight robbery!
On Thursday evening representatives of the Cranleigh Village Health Trust (CVHT) formerly the Cranleigh Village Hospital Trust (CVHT) will make a presentation to village leaders. Not in person of course – the organisation will appear on Zoom – before a line-up of parish councillors including members of Waverley’s planning committees, one of whom is Chairman of Waverley’s planning committee.
Presumably, both Waverley BC and CVHT are hoping that out of sight is out of mind and they’re planning a stitch-up. Whereas, what the residents of Cranleigh really want is a hold-up!
in a CONFIDENTIAL SESSION of the parish council and behind closed doors, councillors will consider another item on the Agenda.