In just a few days time the voting fodder of Surrey will pick up their polling cards and walk…
This will be their opportunity to get more of the same old, same old – or, perhaps, just perhaps, the politicians fodder will actually choose to vote for a candidate and not for the political party he/she represents.
Let’s just pose a few basic questions about ‘Our Surrey’ and how it has managed our county over the past four years?
- Are we impressed with the closure of all the county’s old people’s residential homes – particularly those who, with amazing passion and care, worked with those suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia?
- Do we believe they have spent the £11.8m that was raised from last year’s council tax hike on improving adult social care? In fact – are we sure it was spent entirely on ASC?
- Do we believe it did the right thing by deciding it would no longer fund the Meals on Wheels Service?A service aimed at enabling older people to remain independent in their own homes!
- Are we confident that it was acting responsibly by shutting down/or proposing to shut down all the Alzheimer’s Centres in the county?
- Are we all happy to see the lights turned off from midnight until 6.a.m. – except of course in you live in Spelthorne where they kick up a fuss!
- Do we back its decision to invest £30m of our money in Farnham’s toxic East Street development, which was shunned by commercial investors.
- Are we concerned about travelling around Surrey trying to find somewhere to pay to dump our rubbish at reduced opening hours.
- As the pot holes deepen and HGV’s smash-up our pavements as they mount them – do we feel safe, cycling, walking or driving any more?
- Do the £2m cut in bus services concern us? Particularly in the rural areas
- What about the serious funding issues in our schools?
- Or the crass decision to suggest one of Surrey’s most amazing beauty spots – at Newlands Corner becomes ‘Your Surrey’s” answer to a sort of moneymaking theme park?
We could go on…and on…
But the just has to be the total cock-up when Bodger Hodge did a ‘not so’ secret deal with the Government and someone had the guts to film it and send it to the BBC. Otherwise – once again behind closed doors!
Pour yourself a stiff drink and listen to this – and then go down to the local polling station and VOTE … but remember – we get the Governments we deserve!
Remember – ‘All politics is local” and voters need to know they can influence decisions and not be ignored.
Here’s what one resident said in the amazing Guildford Dragon – the town’s on-line newspaper about the Shalford Tory candidate who has been helicoptered in! Can hardly wait cover his contributions at’ Your Surrey?’