Is Kirsty playing dirty to snaffle a seat on the county council?
A Tory leaflet, which others claim could be a deliberate attempt to mislead the public is being bandied around Godalming and on Social Media.. (photo below).
Let’s do a FACT- OR FICTION -finding exercise, Megan Markle style?
FICTION OR FACT?
- FICTION The claim that Waverley is a ‘Liberal Democrat Dominated |Council?’
- FACT. The largest Group on Waverley Borough Council is … THE CONSERVATIVE GROUP.
GONE TO POTTS?
N.B. THIS CHANGED SLIGHTLY OVERNIGHT AS CONSERVATIVE LEADER JULIA POTTS ANNOUNCED THAT CLLR BRIAN ADAMS HAS BEEN SUSPENDED FROM WAVERLEY’S CONSERVATIVE GROUP AT ‘YOUR WAVERLEY’ AND SUSPENDED FROM THE S.W.SURREY CONSERVATIVE ASSOCIATION!
- FICTION Perhaps it wants to close Broadwater Golf Club for “an unpopular housing development?”
- FACT. A housing development has never been mentioned. Why not use the word perhaps it could be ‘a refuse tip’ or perhaps ‘a multi-storey office block?’
- FICTION. It made decisions behind closed doors.
- FACT. It discussed the issue in public – but on the direction of officers, including the borough solicitor, made the decision privately from the public, but not the council, for sound commercially sensitive and legal reasons.
Should Ms Waldron win the Godalming South county council seat, she will, of course, want to adhere to officers’ advice in her new role, particularly when sensitive legal issues are involved?
FACT. Kirsty Waldron says if she is elected she promises, yes “promises,” the people of Godalming that she will fight to keep the club and protect recreational spaces which she uses regularly with her young (4 years old) daughter.
Here’s what Cllr Paul Follows her Liberal Democrat opponent for the county seat has to say on the issue.