Having turned her back on her Upper Hale residents in return for a safe seat in Frensham, Dockenfield & Tilford. Julia Potts has saved her skin to continue leading the Tory group at ‘Your Waverley.’ Having sacrificed her deputy, Ged Hall (“greater love hath no man than to give up his seat for his leader”) she has Godalming’s Peter Martin at her side!
She says they will be forging a different style when the New Guard takes over the council on 21st May. She wants to “reconnect with residents,” and re-build the party.” Beaten but not bowed by the punishing message given last Thursday – she will lead, what is still the largest group on the council. Perhaps she will persuade her colleagues to start by:-
- Not voting for totally unsuitable and damaging developments on flood plains in the eastern villages. Areas where infrastructure and amenities are poor, or non-existent? And… then referring to them as “poor old…”
- Take notice of residents when they fill village and town halls to take votes of NO CONFIDENCE in your administration?
- Listen, and hear residents’ concerns and instead of ignoring them, bear them in mind?
- Be more open and transparent and admit to mistakes when they occur. Everyone makes them – just own up – the public would respect you for it.
- Stop congratulating yourselves and officers.’ It is the officers’ job to provide reports and Self-congratulation is an unnecessary indulgence.
- Don’t treat new councillors in the opposition parties like pariahs. The public put them there and have given them the mandate to act on their behalf. Work with them for all our sakes?